Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shanghai: the fabric market

We did a lot of shopping at the local markets.  It was hard for Adam to walk through without someone asking him if he wanted a watch.  While we got some knockoffs (not that many, really!), most of our time was spent at the fabric market.
The fabric market is a huge building with stalls and stalls of fabric (hence the name), and you can have almost any item of clothing custom made.  Adam and Tim each got three-piece suits (I overheard a lot of talk about The Godfather between them.)  We placed our orders at the beginning of the week...
...and picked them up just a few days later.  Trying on clothes, particularly winter coats, was kind of gross after a day of sweatiness.
There were a few alterations, but I was really pleased with our purchases.  In ideal shopping world, I would take a trip to Shanghai every couple years to have clothes made.

No comments: